So now that you have decided to try to find a new home. Before we get in the car and start looking the first step is to talk to a lender and get pre-qualified for a mortgage. I am going to suggest that you start with talking to a local Chattanooga lender. it does not matter to me if you use a small credit union like TVFCU, a local full service bank or a mortgage broker. There are some good online banks and now even apps like the Quicken Rocket that speed up the process and streamline it. I just prefer local people in case there is a snag they are usually easier to get ahold of over a lender that all you have is a 1-800 number.
Here are a few of the items that they are going to ask for to get you pre-approved. Some banks may ask for other documents that are not on this list but if you bring this it will be a good start. We recommend to all of our Buyers that they start a “Green File” and collect all of this information in it during the transaction in case the lender asks for something else or in case something is misplaced.
- Picture ID’s with Social Security Numbers
- Last two months bank and investment statements
- Last 2 years tax returns with all pages and schedules
- Address for last 2 years
- Names and Address for each employer for last 2 years
- Address and loan information for any other Real Estate owned
- Money for credit report and appraisal
- Certificate of Eligibility and DD214′s (VA loan Only)
- Divorce Decree if applicable
- Child Support and Alimony Agreements if applicable